After a good, hard run in the freezing cold, runners need a substantial nutrition-filled breakfast to refuel. If you’re in a hurry, try to avoid “fast” foods like pastries and donuts that have little nutritional value and instead turn to these delicious and nutritious oatmeal muffins that you can make ahead of time. These are hearty and tasty and are great right out of the oven, later on at room temp or reheated for about 20 seconds in the microwave. Set aside just a few minutes to whip up a batch of these muffins over the weekend, and have them ready to go post long run. Enjoy!
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice (you can also sub in an equal amount of water if you’re not a fan of milk)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (coconut sugar is similar to brown sugar but has nutritional value. Sub in an equal amount of light brown sugar or a local raw honey if you don’t have coconut sugar)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (you could use an equal amount of olive oil instead)
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 small apple (whatever variety you like), chopped
- Heat oven to 400º F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and oats. Let soak while you mix the dry ingredients.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg with a fork. Add coconut sugar, milk & oat mixture and melted coconut oil to the egg.
- Gently fold flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix! Fold in blueberries and apple.
- Fill muffin liners almost to the top. Bake for 20 minutes.
Big River’s Recipe Guru is Becky Cutright, one of our wonderful START Coaches, who has an amazing fitness and weight loss story of her own.